CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm jumping for joy!

I cannot believe it!  Danielle from Carolina Teacher nominated little old me for the Liebster Award.  Thank you Danielle!  I am honored and super excited.  What a fun way to start the day.



Here are the rules that go along with the Liebster Award
- Link back to the blog that nominated you.
- Nominate 5 to 11 blogs that have less than 200 followers.
- Answer the questions posted to you from your nominator.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Create 11 questions for your nominees.
- Contact your nominees via a comment or an email.
 
Here we go!  These are the questions that Danielle had for me.
 
1. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
- I love being able to share my passion for teaching with others and learn from such amazing teachers at the same time.  Blogging has made such a positive impact on my teaching and has taken it to a whole new level for me.  :)
2. If you could meet one famous person, living or dead, who would it be?
- Wow, this is a great question!  I would love to meet Eric Carle.  He is by far one of my favorite authors. 
3. What is the best concert you've ever been to?
- My sister and I were huge concert goers prior to me having Asher.  We would go to a show once a week.  For best concert, I would have to say it is a tie between Minus the Bear, Lydia, and City and Colour.  All put on amazing live shows and the vocals sound just like they did on the cds.  I love when there is little to no change between the actual voice and the produced one.  Gives me goosebumps!
4. What grades have you taught? What is your favorite grade to teach?
- I have taught K5 and 1st grade.  They both are amazing grades to teach.  The kiddos are still so innocent and love everything that you do.  The sillier, the better.  If I had to pick a favorite it would be K5.  I have always wanted to teach Kindergarten, so it just makes sense.
5. What is the best holiday or celebration to have at school?
- To be honest, we don't do a whole lot of celebrating in my classroom.  It has been a very sticky area for the past couple of years, so I do not make it into a big deal.  We do small activities that revolve around the various holidays but no huge celebrations.
6. What is your favorite book for adults?
- I adore The Hunger Games.  It was the first series of books in a long time that I just couldn't put the books down.  Love that!
7. What is your favorite children's book?
- Oh geez, this list could go on forever.  I can't just have one!  My top three are Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Where the Wild Things Are, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
8. If you were not a teacher, what would you do?
- I most likely would still be coaching gymnastics.  Gymnastics was what I lived, dreamed, and breathed from age six and on.  It would only have been natural to stay involved if teaching wasn't an option.
9. What is your least favorite part of teaching?
- Is it safe to say the politics?!?  I want to teach because I want to help children learn and have an amazing future.  I do not want to teach to make large amounts of money or to be told what to teach and when.  I am a teacher because it is what I love, not because it is a job.  I could go on and on, as I'm sure most of us can.
10. What is the best teaching advice you've ever gotten?
- To have fun every day!  When teaching becomes a job, than it is time to find something else.  :)
11. Who was your favorite teacher and why?
- My kindergarten teacher was my absolute favorite and is the reason I became a teacher.  I was terrified of going to school.  I mean would run back out of school when my mom dropped me off, terrified!  My teacher, Mrs. Bradley, saw this and made me her special helper.  This simple act was all it took!  From that moment on, school was the best place ever for me and I wanted to help/be there all the time.  If she hadn't made that choice to include me like that, I don't know what school would have been like for me. 

Now onto my 11 random facts
1. I was a gymnast from ages 6 to 16.  I was a competitive gymnast from ages 10 to 16.  I spent 3 hours a day, 4 days a week in a gym practicing skills over and over.
2. I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 5 years old.  I have thought about doing something else only one time since then.
3. I played the viola for 3 years.
4. I am obsessed with music.  The genres most listened to are indie and hardcore/screamo.  :)  Not your typical kindergarten music. 
5.  I have to have my dvds in alphabetical order.  Same goes for my cds.
6.  When I eat colored candies, they have to be sorted by color.  I then eat them by the colors I like the least to the colors I like the most.
7. My owls get really use to seeing me with a coffee or a soda every day.  I could live off of Starbucks and Dr. Pepper.
8. My favorite color is purple.
9. My nickname as a child was "Air."  It was simply a quick way to say Erin.  ;)
10. I am an overly sarcastic person once you get to know me. 
11. When I meet someone for the first time, I am extremely shy.

My nominees for the Liebster Award are
Sarah from Clearly Kindergarten
Michelle from Miss King's Enchanted Kingdom
Kelly from You're So Sharp
Nikki from The Cozy Classroom
Amy from The Littlest Superheroes

My questions to these lovely bloggers are
1.  What made you decide to become a teacher?
2.  What is your favorite subject/skill to teach?
3.  If you could take a trip anywhere, where would you go?
4.  What is one school supply that you must have?
5.  What song(s) get you through the day?
6.  How would you describe a perfect teaching day?
7.  If you could teach any grade, what would it be and why?
8.  What is your favorite book?  (children's or adult)
9.  What is the one thing you wish you could change in education?
10.  How long have you been teaching?
11.  What made you decide to start a blog?

Thanks for reading this extremely long post!  Thanks again Danielle for the nomination.

~Erin









4 comments:

  1. I got to meet Eric Carle at the Festival of Books at UCLA a few years ago. My kids and I waited in line for over an hour. I embarrassed them by going completely fan-girl on him, crying and hugging him. Oh,well. I guess I am not as cool as I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin, as it happens I nominated you for a Liebster too!! Love reading your posts -- stop by my blog and check it out!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so fun to read your post Erin! I love the Hunger Games, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erin!! I am just getting back from a little blogging hiatus, thanks so much for the award! I am very, very honored you thought of me :) I will be talking about you on my blog today and answering your questions.

    Thanks again!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete