CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday Made It-Retelling Cookie Sheet

It is official, back to school is upon us!  For some of you it may have already begun, while for others of us we are starting to get back in that groove of creating and planning. 

I will be linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics to share with you my first ever Monday Made It!

 



Since my two conferences, I have been sifting through notes and handouts full of ideas and really trying to determine what will enhance my owls' learning this school year.  Now, keep in mind, there are many things that I want to improve on, but I am just going to focus on what I feel is a "HUGE" one today. 

I really want to embrace retelling stories this year and I want to get it rolling right away.  In the past, I was one of those teachers that waited until the owls were comfortable with books and would slowing bring in this idea of retelling using whatever picture cards the curriculum provided.  B-O-R-I-N-G!  No wonder my owls looked at me with a blank stare and why I wanted to scream and rip my hair out.  With the help of the Common Core conference, my barely lit light bulb flashed on and quickly erupted into an explosion of sparks.  The word "novelty" was a big buzz word and really got me thinking, how can I hook my owls into retelling?

Right away, that loveable little cat, you know the blue one that has some pretty sweet shoes, popped into my head.  I mean what little owl doesn't love a book that you can read and sing?  Besides my little owls loving this book, my son ADORES the book as well.  He was singing this book all the time, so I decided to put a little learning fun into it for him.  With this in mind, developed the following project...

 

Polka Dot Background by Ashley Hughes
 
 
I am aware that the shoes are quite large compared to the cat, but the thought behind that is I will be using this early on in the school year and I know that moving laminated objects, especially small ones can be frustrating.  Once I see those fine motor skills improving, I will down size those shoes.
 
 
I hope that this helps you to get those retelling ideas started.  Please make sure to head over to 4th Grade Frolics to see what others have made.
 
~Erin
 

4 comments:

  1. What a cute idea. I love reading all the cat books to my 4 year old class and of course singing a song. My kiddos would love this. I hope I can find a cute cat. I don't have special clip art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE. I'm collaborating with my Kindergarten teacher for a Pete the Cat unit sometime in August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so simple and cute. Now I feel like I should be getting in gear. Two more weeks of summer school. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete