CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 11, 2013

Now I Know My ABC's

At the start of each month, I pull my little owls one by one over to me to quickly assess their letter identification and letter sounds.  When I look at letter identification, it is for upper and lowercase letters.  In the past, it has taken my owls a good portion of the year to get to the point where they have mastered the letters.  (This is with having a full year of all day K4!) 

To get this year's owls ahead of the game, I now start my literacy time with a quick 5 minute alphabet focused activity.  Some days are simple things like saying the alphabet forward on the alphabet chart, saying it backward on the alphabet chart, or starting at a random letter on the alphabet chart.  Other days are a bit more involved like playing a game of BANG!  Whatever the activity may be, it is timed so it stays quick.  Even if the game isn't finished, we pack it up and move on.  Remember, this is about letter identification so it is all about naming those letters.

I have a couple freebies that my owls have loved so far this year and I wanted to share them with you.  I have worked these into our schedule by playing them once a week for a month, unless the game is really popular, I might throw it in twice a week.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/An-Apple-a-Day-Makes-the-Letters-Stay-856065

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Who-found-my-branch-A-letter-recognition-freebie-832414
 
Click on the individual pictures to grab your freebies!  Feedback and comments are always appreciated.  :)
 
 
Obviously, there are many other things that can be done with the alphabet, but these few are some favorites of the owls so far.
 
~Erin

 

5 comments:

  1. love the Who Found my Branch game. I plan to use it tomorrow
    Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! A few of mine are still struggling so this will come in handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable and engaging. Thanks for being so generous Erin!
    Love you, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to my child's school in session. I popped there startlingly amidst the day. Every guardian may as well do this. They had some organized studying additionally a mess of playing which I suppose is the most ideal route for kids to study.
    Phoenix kindergarten

    ReplyDelete