With that being said, I took a step back and looked at what I was putting in my literacy workstations. I really needed to make it more "boy" friendly. What I had put in there was by no means bad, it just wasn't as engaging for the "boys" boy. Once I knew that was what I needed, I let my mind take over. After several days and while watching my little man playing with his toys, the creative light bulb came. I was going to pull together letter identification/word work and construction. P-E-R-F-E-C-T!
This is what I did in my classroom just for letter identification.
Dirt in bucket and little construction toys! Engaged owls, check!
To make sure the owls were working and not just having a blast digging through the dirt, they had to write down the letters they found.
Side note-I had two different buckets out, one with just capital letters that we had discussed in class and that all the owls knew and one that had a mixture of capital and lowercase letters, known and not.
If you think that your boys would enjoy something like this, click on any of the above pictures to grab it from my TPT store.
For fun, I will send it to the first 5 comments I get on this post! I have really been slacking on this whole blogging thing lately and I want you to know that I haven't forgotten about all you wonderful followers. :)