CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Super Heroes...A Sure Fire Way to Get Your Boys Engaged

Good morning everyone!  I'm back again with a fun way to get those little ones in your classroom engaged in learning while having some fun. 

A few weeks ago, I spent a good portion of a day just looking through all the "stuff" that my little man has gotten over the years.  Side note-it is amazing how many toys this little man has!!!!  I'm thinking we might own half of Toys R' Us at this point.  :)  Anywho, while I was looking through his toys, his awesome set of Hulk hands caught my eyes.  I know how much those things have been played with and how much the little man never seems to get bored with them.  There is always a "new" way to play with them in his world.

When I saw those big green hands, I knew I needed to come up with a way to bring them into the classroom and to use them in our learning.  After a bit of brainstorming, the idea of using them for a "Splat" like game was created.  The kid(s) would wear a Hulk hand and search as quickly as possible for the information that the teacher asked for (letters, numbers, colors....)  When the item was found, the kid(s) would "Smash" it.  I don't know about you, but this screams boy engagement to me.

Here are some pictures for you to get an idea of what is needed and what it looks like in action.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/SMASH-1367613
This picture shows the selected cards/skill scattered about the floor, face up.  The Hulk hands are displayed in the middle for picture purposes.  If you don't have a set of these bad boys at home, a pair of green gloves would do the trick.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/SMASH-1367613
I called out a color and the little man had to find it.  He then got to "smash" it.  Let me tell you how elaborate that "smash" got over the course of a few colors.  He went from walking up to the card and putting his fist on it, to leaping at it and letting out growls.  It was fun for me to watch and he got a kick out of the fact that I was letting him "be a boy" while learning.

The cards you see in the pictures above are part of my newest pack on TPT called Smash.  This pack comes with upper and lower case letter cards, numbers 1 to 100, five frames, ten frames, teen frames, dice, dominoes, color dots, color words in actual color, color words in black, 2D shapes, and 3D shapes.  The cards are with colored backgrounds, like shown above, or in white backgrounds to make it more printer friendly.

Click on either picture to take a look at it.  It will be on sale today and through the TPT Back to School sale.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Erin-Anderson-5278
 

I will be giving away this Hulk-tastic pack today!  Simply leave a comment on how you might use this pack in your classroom and your email address.  I will pick a winner or two at the end of the day!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment