CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Little Reflection!

So last Thursday was the dreaded highly anticipated first day back after winter break.  Overall, the day went smoothly!  We did a little rule review, focused on the book The Mitten, and did plenty of skill review.  We have some major district mandated assessments coming up so I want my little owls to be beyond prepared.  Test anxiety and my kids are best of friends.  For some unknown reason, they all freeze up when the words "test" or "assessment" are uttered.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all of this review will wash away their worries. 

Ok!  So remember how I mentioned above that Thursday went well, not so much for Friday!  My little owls just didn't have the motivation or energy to make it through the entire day.  I felt like a dentist by the afternoon, pulling out teeth, to get them working.  I had to water down and even eliminate work in our literacy stations.  I'm hoping that this isn't the new trend of 2013 but instead just winter break still working its way out of their systems.  After I sent the little owls home, I sat down and looked at what exactly was the problem with the day.  Was the work too hard for after a big break?  Was there too much work for them to complete in 20 minute rotations?  Was it not engaging enough?  So after some long thinking and some work done on other areas in the classroom, I decided to take a couple steps back this week.  We will continue to review but one day will be completing the activity together in small group to build confidence and then the next time, a recording sheet will be completed to hold each accountable.

I will keep you all posted on how this works or if it is sent to the curb after a few days!  Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great week!

~Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment