CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Little Snowball Fight Never Hurt Anyone!

Let me begin by saying that yesterday was terrible quite the day.  It was as if my little owls had forgotten what they come to school to do.  When I said that frightening question, "What are we learning?" they looked less like little owls and more like deer in headlights.  Beyond frustrating!

Okay....rant/rambling over and on to what my post is really about.  I wanted to share one of the great things that happened today.  (YES, today was much better! insert singing and dancing)  We started the day off with a little "snowball fight."  I have been reading about this amazing activity everywhere in the blog world and knew I needed to try it out.  Since we are currently struggling with our sight words, I used those words for the activity.  This is how I went about it- I printed up one sight word to one sheet of paper, crumbled the paper, and scattered the papers around the carpet area.  I only did 8 words today because it was our first time doing this.  I wanted to make sure we were playing safely and following directions before I put out enough words for every owl.  Now I must tell you that I share a room with another K5 teacher and her class.  We do not co-teach, we just share a room.  So I was doing all of this in only half of a classroom.  Space is limited!  The kids were put on the far side of the room and told to carefully but quickly try to find a "snowball."  The owls who grabbed one sat on the carpet and the other who did not lined up.  They were our "snowball victims."  I did this so I could include everyone.  Each owl had to read the sight word correctly and then got to throw it at someone.  After that the sight words were written on a small poster.  This poster will be hung up in the classroom for yet another place to find sight words.  Tomorrow I will take some pictures and I will get them posted next time.

~Erin

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! How do you share a room with another class, but not co-teach!! That sounds incredibly difficult!
    But it sounds like your snowball fight went well, and that you had a good time. I'm glad that it did! Keep up the good work. Learn through play is my favorite thing!
    Heidi Butkus
    http://heidisongs.blogspot.com
    www.heidisongs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is extremely difficult sharing and not co-teaching. Part of this situation was the principal's decision and part is that the other teachers is extremely set in her own ways of teaching. I make due and teach how I want and we are just in our own little world most of the time. :) Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete