CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Jack and the Beanstalk

I am officially done with the required literacy curriculum that we use and have decided to read, discuss, and just plain have some fun with fairy tales until the end of the year.  Last week we read several different versions of The Three Little Pigs (a list of the books read will come in a later post, I promise) and this week we are diving into Jack and the Beanstalk (a list of books read to be included with above said post.)

Here are a couple of the Jack and the Beanstalk activities we did today!
 I made this paper version of a beanstalk and programmed some of our newer sight words onto it.  The owls worked in groups, taking turns rolling a die and moving to different sight words.
 



 
If the sight word was read correctly, the owl needed to write the word onto this recording sheet.  After time was up during that rotation, the owls got in line and read through their words one more time with me just to hold them responsible. 
 
 
* FYI- My owls have never worked so hard on sight words.  Beanstalks really are magical!  :)
 
The following activity I did not get pictures of, sorry!  We made a graph that asked if we would climb the beanstalk.  Each owl got a beanstalk card where they got to write their name in MARKER (again, markers made the classroom an even cooler place to be) and then got to tape it to the correct column on the graph.  We analyzed the graph and learned that we have a lot of brave owls in the class! 
 
I hope this gives you a couple of ideas to hold on to for next year or even to wrap up this year with.  :)
 
~Erin
 
(I will be back, hopefully, tomorrow with a post about an exciting sight word game that my owls go crazy over as well.)
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Haha! My kiddos go crazy over markers too! I am loving your sight word games! Can't wait to see more!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just something about markers lately. Perhaps it's due to the fact that are only used during free choice time or for certain art projects. :) I'm glad you like the sight word games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beanstalk/sight word activity, very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how can we get a copy of the worksheet you used?

    ReplyDelete